View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Exclamation Escape Artist Tibbe Safe After Break-Out!

Tibbe was just begging to go outside and I was pretty sure he didn't really yet need to "go" as it hadn't been a hour since he was last out. I, however, really did need to "go", so, though I knew better and always watch him when he's out back, I let Tibbe into the back yard to pursue whatever was so important, and hobbled(still on a cane from surgery) as fast as I could to the restroom and then right back to the back door as fast as I could and called him. No response! I called 2 or 3 more times with no response and hurried back inside to the den for my robe, looked out back again, calling frantically, and still no Yorkie! My heart jumped straight into my throat and I knew that the 2 minutes I'd stolen to go to the restroom, though I knew better, had maybe cost me my little sweet and so-precious Yorkie.

I raced as fast as I could to the front and called him and got no response when I called 2 or 3 times. Back in the house and out into the back, calling him, and I went over to the far side of the backyard that has a section of fence that goes out from the side of the house to the portion that runs the length of the property to see if I could see how he could have gotten out. There Tibbe was - sitting on the other side of the fence! I nearly died out of such sudden joy and relief - I was so sure he was gone - taken or just out running or something. I thought I might faint but knew I had to get him as quickly as I could so I told him to "Wait" and dashed as fast as I could make it across the yard, through the house and around to the side, where my dear little escape artist sat waiting for his mommie! There was a bowl of half-eaten cat food on the side-walk beside the neighbor's house and I can only surmise Tibbe was eating or checking that out while I was out front earlier calling him. But he was still sitting by the fence where he'd been told to "Wait". I hurried to him, grabbed him up and into the house we came where he got a very nice piece of beef jerky treat and lots of hugs and kisses and praises for "Good Wait".

After beating myself up all afternoon for leaving him out there even for just 120 seconds or so, I had to try to find out how in the world he got out of the yard. On the other side of the yard from where I first checked and found him, there is this one tiny space between the gate and the post that the gate locks to - about 3 1/2 - 4" wide, that I wanted to check out but thinking that there was no way my 5.3 lb. boy could get through that. So when I had less wobbly knees from my scare, I let Tibbe out back alone and hurried through the house out front and around to the front side of that gate and called Tibbe. He came running and hardly without slowing his stride, my strapping-looking boy slicked through that tiny space so easily and quickly I almost fainted for about the 3rd time today! I have had Tibbe almost 4 years now and that space has been there all this time but as he was 9 mos. old when I got him, even then, before he was fully fleshed out, I didn't think there was any way he could get through that space. And especially not after he bulked up more and gained a little weight from good nutrition and exercise after coming to live here - I was so sure he was way way too wide to get through that little space. Tibbe is a wide-built boy and I thought he was way too broad to get through there. Boy, was I wrong!

Well, that space has been filled with bricks all around it until I can find a permanent way to close it off to him and I will never again let him outside unless I am watching! What a close call I had! I can hardly keep my hands off him this afternoon - I'm so thankful to just have my little one. So I've learned not to ever assume where my little boy's safety is concerned and that no matter how badly I need to do anything, it will just have to wait unless I can see Tibbe the whole time. These dogs size can really fool you.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!