View Single Post
Old 01-19-2006, 01:16 AM   #1
Gina1978
BANNED!

Default About "No tea-cups".

I posted this on the actual thread but this forum moves so fast that sometimes posts are missed and I needed this one to be read.I just copied and posted my post because lately Iv heard sad things about the smaller yorkies that I dont think are true.Making the term tea-cup disapeer would be great!,but I wouldent want it to be replaced with the word "freak".
My post is about this article:
------------
"The tiniest of the tiny Yorkies, weighing less than the standard size of 4 to 7 pounds as adults, are sometimes called "Teacup Yorkies." The term doesnt technically exist, according to the Yorkshire Terrier Club of America or the American Kennel Club, and refers to dogs who, rather than being rare or special, are actually just dangerously small, more susceptible to injury and accidents, and particularly vulnerable to health problems, says Shirley Patterson, corresponding secretary of the Yorkshire Terrier Club of America. She urges potential owners not to be fooled by breeders trying to sell these extra-small Yorkies for extra-large prices.
'These dogs need constant supervision, become dehydrated very easily, and get sick frequently,' Patterson says. Responsible breeders will not charge more money for these smaller dogs, who can naturally be born in any litter."
-----------
I think the article is great but that they shouldent make the tiny ones sound like time bombs because that just isnt true or fair to those of us that actually own one.
It upsets me to hear that the tiny ones get sick frequently,that they are prone to accidents,that they are dangerously small??? None of this has to be true and in my case it isnt at all.
Lady is 3oz shy of 2lbs and she has been sick once in 2 years and even then it was because she ate a bug whilst on her walk! She has never had diarrea,she has only had one accident (my fault) and even then nothing happened,she was fine,and as for her being dangerously small,I think thats just stupid and again unfair.I have 2 small kids who LOVE to play with her and a cat that loves to chase her around the house...she is healthy,playful and normal.
I agree that we shouldent call them tea-cups so that people dont think that they are getting something extra special,but please,lets stop making the smaller yorkies sound like super sick animals that only a profesional could own...Its a matter of stopping the term "tea-cup" not making the small ones sound like freaks.
I am a normal everyday person and I assure you that I havent had to go to university in order to look after Lady.She has to eat a special high calorie food to keep her weight stable (which is normal as tiny as she is) and she has glucose treats once a day just in case..but thats it! THAT is all the special care she needs and anyone can do it.
The vet bills arent higher with Lady,she isnt more work and neither does she need more care than Jessica who is over 7lbs.
Please please stop making the smaller yorkies sound like timebombs.They cant be bred,you have to be a little more careful around the house etc,but other than that they are just regular yorkies,plain and simple.
Im sorry about this post but when you´ve read post after post where people claim that you have to be a special person to own such a small yorkie,that these shouldent be raised in a home with kids,or that they need so much more care than a regular sized yorkie and that the vet bills are super high! etc,the day comes when you have to say something because none of this is true 80% of the time.
I just needed to get this off of my chest...I hope no one takes offense because this is not my intention at all.I just wanted to clarify that the breeding of tinies is totally wrong,but owning one isnt
Gina1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!