View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #14
k. deem
Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLea View Post
My poor little baby (7 years young) is full of mats. I was away for a family emergency and no one thought to take care of her coat. HOW do I even begin? She has always been groomed but right now I can't even think to bring her, BOTH because of her hurting and money. What is the best way to take care of this? I really need help.
I have 5 adults that at one time or another have all been in full coat. I get them professionally groomed about every 5 or 6 months. Otherwise, I bathe and trim and de-mat them myself. I spend about 3 hours at bath time, combing and getting tangles and mats out. I take each mat individually and work through it. I have a steel comb that I use. The comb doesn't bend and pull the hair. It stays engaged with the mat. I keep seperating the hair with my fingers until I isolate the mat. Sometmes, I take scissors and cut through the mat from top to bottom to avoid taking away the length of hair and leaving hacked areas on their coat. Sometimes it looks like I have a whole new dog when you look at the pile of hair, but the crew doesn't look any worse for the wear. A really good detangler might help. I dry them fully before I comb them.
k. deem is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!