View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
Giorgismom
Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
Adding a small amount of meat to food is usually not a problem (but it tends to make them pickier). It does become a problem when there is an allergy or intolerance present. If the plan is to feed bison and sweet potato kibble, then the meat on top needs to be bison. If the plan is rabbit and potato kibble, then the meat needs to be rabbit. That's the only way to do a true elimination diet.

It is okay to homecook under the guidance of a board certified veterinary nutritionist. Some recipes in books are okay. Many aren't. So it really depends on the author of the book...

Adding too much meat can undo the balance of the food and lead to health problems.

And while many like Natural Balance for allergies and intolerances, it is NOT trule appropriate for this. The goal is to have one protein and one carb for an elimination diet. The bison formula has four (bison, sweet potato, potato protein, pea protein). So while it may be okay to try it, if it doesn't work that doesn't really mean much in terms of food sensitivities.
Oh ok thanks for the reply. I am not a fan of Royal Canine, I tried 2 different formulas with Giorgio and he wouldnt eat it. He isnt fond of hard food at all and I literally crush it up and mix it so he will eat it. I am also not a fan of grain diets, he doesnt handle grain too well either. I dont know, I feel like I am just rambling but I will keep an eye on him and see how he does with this formula. I am hoping he does okay. Thanks again I appreciate your input.
Giorgismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!