View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
lynzy420
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachi View Post
My niece Samantha is morbidly obese and I am very concerned about her and her situation. She is 8 yrs old and weighs 190 lbs. Her doctor has told her Mom that her heart cant support that kind of weight she has to lose weight. She gets picked on at school because she is so much bigger than the other kids. Her parents are overweight also and her Grandma. Even with what the doctor has told them the parents are still taking her to buffets and getting tons of food for her. Her Grandmas does the same thing orders her alot of fatting type of food. We have asked Samantha if she is on her diet and she says no but Im taking gym 3 days a week. Taking gym 3 days a week but still overeating isnt going to do a thing. We have tried to help, My husband is on a diet and has dieting experience and said he would help her. We have offered for her to come down and walk on our treadmill or get on our ab machine. We have offered to take her on mini marathon walks. No matter what we offer the parents have an excuse why they cant do it. The Mom said a while back she enrolled her in a class for obese children but so far she hasnt went. I dont know what more I can do Im so worried samantha is going to have a heart attack. What would you do
Oh Chachi I know how hard this is, especially when you care about the child. I am going to offer advice to you based on my experience in my job. I have seen these cases and people like you come here and beg for help for their niece, nephew, grandchild...because they feel so helpless, what I have found and what I believe and what i counsel them to do is call SOCIAL SERVICES HOTLINE (often because of my work I am mandated to do this as well). There is nothing to fear by calling them, usually its a blessing in disguise. The cases you hear on the news of bad experiences are far fewer than the good they do everyday.

You can call anonymously, explain the situation to them. It is a difficult decision but I believe warranted. They are not going to go drag that child from her home, they are going to go make the parents etc., accountable and compel them to do what is best for their child.

I truly am sorry that your probably not liking my advice but ChaChi for the good of this child and her LIFE, please do the right thing, you have tried everything else.

Your a wonderful caring Aunt, please continue to support her, often the children in these situations need people like you, she hears you....God Bless and good luck..
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!