View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
lynzy420
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyb View Post
Hello!

I am new to the forum, and so very happy that it exists. I just got a Yorkie puppy who is almost 6 months old. Unfortunately, his previous owner did NO training, so I am starting from scratch in many ways.

I have had Oliver for about a week, and the first week he was pretty good -- despite his potty accidents, I was able to bring him to work because he would either play, or put himself in his crate and go to sleep. At home he was a bit crazier, but I would put him in the crate at night with a blanket over it, and he would cry for about a minute and be done.

It seems like there was a switch in his brain and things have changed. Last night, he woke me up twice while in the crate. Today he is at work with me, and he doesn't relax in his bed like he used to, but rather whines for attention and heaven forbid I leave my desk... that is when the real problems start. If he becomes a barker/whiner, I can't take him to work. I also can't keep him in my apartment if he does that. So both of these things need to stop, or I will have some very angry coworkers and neighbors.

I plan on taking him to some training classes soon, but the real urgency is in trying to get it so I can leave him alone -- both at home during the workday, and while I am at work and not at my desk. I don't know why he was so good last week, and different this week. I have successfully taught him how to sit, but the urgent things [such as no barking and pottying outside] seem to be much harder... but much more important.

I know these things take time -- but if there is anyway to accelerate the learning curve on this, that would be great.

Thoughts? Ideas?
Gently I say, you need to consider moving; seriously, puppies bark, whine and cry for a year or two. Now I'm not saying they all do it 24/7 but I'm saying they do it.

Your puppy needs to be left home, if you are going to be gone for more than 4-6 hours I would invest in an xpen, put his crate in there with a peepad (I use a litter box and peepad). He probably will cry, bark and whine for a little while, maybe a long while, but he eventually will get use to it. Most pups its a matter of days, then there are pups where it takes longer, and some pups have other issues.

If you are going to be gone only 4-6 hrs crate training is probably best for you. I don't think you need to take your pup to work (my opinnion). As for night time, are you opposed to letting your pup snuggle with you? That will probably take care of the night time crying. If not then you need to stay consistent. Cover the crate but leave a part open so he can see you.

If these things don't work, I'm sure we can all offer more advice.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!