View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 02:29 AM   #1
HShanks
Donating Yorkie Yakker

Default Pneumonia-question?

My 6 year old girl was diagnosed with pneumonia on Friday and spent all weekend at the vet on diuretics, antibiotics, and ICU oxygen cage for 1 day. She has been out of the ICU since Saturday and we were finally able to bring her home today (Monday evening here in Japan). I have complete confidence in our vet; however, there is a language barrier that requires an interpreter. I thought I would ask those with experience here on the board as I have a general question about Abbie's breathing. I have noticed that she is still breathing rapidly (about 30-40 resps per minute) even at rest. She is sleeping well, pottying well, and eating well. She is not breathing with her mouth open and she is able to lie flat on her side or tummy. I'm assuming that this pneumonia is going to take a few weeks to clear up but I wondered if anyone could tell me how long before their little one was back to breathing completely normal? Vet has her on bronchiodilators and antibiotics. Abbie's WBCs are elevated and I understand that infection can also make her breathe more rapidly. I know I may be blowing this out of proportion but I would rather be safe than sorry. We have a follow up at the vet in 3 days for her 3rd set of Xrays and rest assured i wouldn't hesitate to take her back in before then if needed. Thanks!
HShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!