View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #13
GypsyVille
Senior Yorkie Talker

A raw diet is basically raw meat and bones. For my dogs, I feel they are healthier on the raw diet because they are carnivores. Their bodies can't handle grain, the preservatives, and alot of the fillers etc. that our bodies can. I also like that i don't have to worry about pet food recalls. For my Rottweilers I found a supplier that I buy some food from on yahoo groups. We also get alot of meat, tripe, bones, etc. from family that raise cows, chicken, sheep, etc. For Delilah alot of the time I just buy her food at the grocery store and then make a week's worth of meals from what I buy. Some people buy from a website called mypetcarnivore.com. They premake everything into a ground meat and sell it in a container at 2 lbs. a container.

I do balance over time (a week). Delilah gets mostly meat with some soft bone (Chicken wings, bone in canned fish such as sardines, etc.), muscle meat, organs, and a small amount of veggies over a weeks time. I also add a daily immune blend (Berte's Immune Blend) and a salmon oil to her food once a day.

Delilah is 4.5 pounds and she eats about 3 ozs. a day (1 oz in per meal).

I recommend a book called "Raw & Natural Nutrition for dogs" by Lew Olson for anyone thinking of switching to raw. Lew Olson also has a facebook page named after the book, designed to help owners whom are doing a raw diet.

This is another great website for learning Jane Anderson's Raw Learning Site

It takes several weeks to completly switch a dog over to raw. The schedule I am following for Delilah takes about 2 months to complete. It also takes a good three months on raw to see the results of a raw diet.
GypsyVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!