View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
GypsyVille
Senior Yorkie Talker

Do you have an article of clothing from when you picked her up at the breeders?

I know this sounds weird. Delilah has been here for about a month. She too had a hard time adjusting. I put her in crate and put her next to my bed - she cried all night. I let her in the bed with me - she peed the bed. I covered her crate, put music on etc. Everything that has worked for my Rottweilers, I tried with her and nothing worked. Finally one night my Husband decided he would get up with her so I could sleep. A few hours later he came in the bedroom to tell me he found a solution.

We have an enclosed porch and we both leave a pair of shoes out on the porch so that they are handy when the dogs have to go outside. He said he opened the door to take her outside and she ran to my shoes and layed on them. He picked her up and took her outside , brought her back in the house and again she was crying. He again opened the porch door thinking maybe she didn't finsh going potty or something. Again she ran to my shoes. So he picked up my boots and put one boot in her bed and one in her crate. He said she ran to her crate right away and again layed on the shoe. He said he shut the crate and sat at the table for awhile on his laptop to see if she was going ot make any noise. She was quiet for an hour and so he came to bed. She didn't make a peep for the rest of the night. We have left the shoes in her crate and she hasn't made a single peep at night as long as she has those shoes. Later we talked about it and realized those were the shoes I was wearing when we brought her home. So we think maybe she smells some of the others that she was living with on those shoes.

Thinking about it later my Rottweiler Adria did have something similiar. My Husband flew out of state to pick Adria up when she was ready to leave her breeders. I sent my Hubby with a few toys for the puppy to come home with. My Husband said Adria, her littermates and her Mom all enjoyed the toys I sent him with while he was at the breeders. She carried this one toy monkey all over when she first came home. Dan said Adria's mother loved that toy. So I think Adria loved that toy so much because it smelled like her Mom.
GypsyVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!