View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
HShanks
Donating Yorkie Yakker

Default Living in Japan. Abdominal pain but labs look fine-thoughts?

My pancreatitis prone girl woke up this morning and gave my husband and I a terrible scare. We are living overseas in Japan and the only emergency vet is a local vet who has seen our pup before for routine care. They are very thorough and loving but I worry that often times there is information lost in translation since we have to use an English speaking interpreter. I'm looking for any thoughts on tummy aches/pain when all lab work looks fine. Here is what happened. Ate dinner and went to bed. Abbie was fine all evening and her normal playful self. Woke up at 0530 to get daughter ready for school when I hear what sounded like a cough from Abbie who was on the couch. I turned around just in time to see her jump off the couch and she had a glassy look to her eyes and seemed out of it. She was panting and pacing, stopped for a second, looked up at me, walked away and then I realized that she had lost control of her bowels on the living room floor (very unusual for her). Wasn't diarrhea and she didn't strain as I was looking at her the entire time trying to figure out what in the heck was going on. At this point I call to my husband because she seemed as if she was having trouble standing. I also realized that the cough was actual vomit but just fluid that made the couch wet (and that is why i didnt notice it right away). I grabbed the liquid Benadryl and gave her a dose thinking that may she had been bitten by a spider while lying on the couch. She is allergic to red ants and has had an anaphylactic reaction to them when we lived in NC. I'm telling you, this dog keeps us on our toes! Anyway, she started to come around and was more alert but started whimpering and acting as if in pain. Took her to ER vet who did fecal and blood profile and I did see the entire chemistry and everything is normal. I thought maybe she was having an atypical pancreatic flare up but now I'm at a loss. She received subcutaneous fluids, Pepcid, antibiotic, and pain med. I did ask about Xrays but she has not eaten anything that we know of and vet said we would pursue that option if she isn't better in the AM. I have a feeling I will be back in the office this evening asking for those Xrays if she isn't a bit better in a few hours. We only have one very responsible 13 year old who knows the possibility of death from pancreatitis so she gets no food other than her prescription I/D and Science Diet lamb and rice. She did receive her rabies vaccine exactly one week ago and for the past week has been treated for an ear infection with Remicin ointment. She has also been taking Hydroyzine 10 mg twice a day for horrible inhalant allergies related to the tropical plants here in Okinawa. She still has slightly labored breathing even at rest and will whimper when being picked up. Her abdomen is slighlty distended but not to the point that I would suspect bloat. She has not vomitted or had a BM since the first episode this morning. She is sleeping off and on but you can tell she is in pain and still not herself. I do not think it is a slipped disk as that had crossed my mind too. I watched him perform the exam and it is definitley abdominal pain. Any thoughts about what might be going on are greatly appreciated. Has anyone had a basic "tummy ache" that presented with these symptoms? Thanks for listening. She is my best buddy and constant companion and I am worried sick that I'm missing something here.

Last edited by HShanks; 02-23-2012 at 08:36 PM.
HShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!