View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #27
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linz06 View Post
I agree, she has been missing a lot. You know, I feel guilty every day for trusting this vet and not taking Layla directly to emergency when she went down in the first place. The vet seemed so confident that we should just take her home and bring her in for observation the next day. She said even if we did take her to emergency, they wouldn't do anything until morning anyway. I have no doubt in my mind that if we trusted our instincts instead of trusting the vet, Layla would have gotten care that night and she would probably be walking still. I know I can't change the past but I'm glad this time I listened to my instincts and we took her to emergency last night. This could have gotten much worse before getting better.
The thought of maybe things turning out differently has got to be very difficult for you, but please forgive yourself. You did NOTHING wrong because you were listening to a vet. You can't be expected and are not expected to know how to practice veterinary medicine. If the blame goes anywhere, it is on the vet, not you.

Now you know for next time - if you are at all unsure, get a second opinion. If you think a vet is right, then, well, sometimes you just have to take a chance and go with it.

Decisions about the spinal cord are not easy. I think they are among the most difficult. I stress about Ellie and where we are with her and would things be different if she wasn't allowed to jump up and down for nine years, etc. But we do the best we can with the information and resources we have.

You are a good owner and I bet Layla doesn't want you to feel guilty either.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!