View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #12
linz06
Donating YT 500 Club Member

We just got home and I am so relieved!

We got in to see a vet right away. They think it's just her bladder infection getting really bad. They also want to check for kidney function. So they took a urine sample for a culture and sensitivity, and a blood sample for kidney function. In the meantime, they gave us one week of antibiotics - the same ones Layla was just on for 10 days. By that time, the results of the other tests will be in and they will decide which sort of antibiotic to continue with. The vet would like another culture and sensitivity done next week when she is done these meds, and again after 6 weeks of antibiotic treatment. She feels the infection might be bad enough to have traveled to her kidneys and it's much more complicated to get rid of. Key phrase: GET RID OF.

The local vet was happy to get it down to "just a little bit of bacteria left" and said Layla would need to just go on antibiotics every few weeks for the rest of her life. She did not even mention that this could be from her UTI... she said immediatly her bladder is probably ruptured. I know she prepared us for the worst case scenario but I was in tears, and we were both thinking if her bladder is ruptured and her urine is spilling into her body cavity... do we put her through more surgery and needing a catheter and all that comes with it... we were honestly trying to come to terms with the fact that we might have to put her down. I feel so upset that I was put to that level of emotion immediately, without saying it could just be the simple option! I am starting to feel more and more that maybe she just wanted to keep that infection going for more $$$$

I am just so relieved that we are on the right track now, and we have vets who are really trying to get to the bottom of these problems now.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!