View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
DvlshAngel985
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachieZ View Post
Dvlsh...thanks so much for the encouragment. I have wanted a Yorkie for so long and decided that when the time was right and it was meant to be that it would. I haven't even met him yet and I don't want to give up on him so I am encouraged by what you said. I think the plan will begin with crate training and a schedule. What do you think about the schedule at night? My plan was to put his crate by my bed and I'm willing to get up with him but how does that (or does it ever) transition to going out before bed and then again when we wake up (6 - 7 am). Is a dog of his size even physically able to hold it for a whole night? My research said something about taking a dog's age and adding one and that is about how many hours they can hold their little bladders. Don't misunderstand, I'm willing to get up with him every three hours for the rest of his life if that's what it takes - just curious.
Thanks again to any and everyone for your information, advice and encouragement.
I think it depends on whether or not they are adults. I believe an adult is capable of holding it all night. Since your new pup is an adult is older, he should be able to hold it all night. My rule of thumb is, if I'm getting up, I'll take him with me so he can go too. Now that we switched to piddle pads, he gets up on his own. I had always been against the piddle pad, but it's really convenient for night time potty breaks. I don't have to go outside, in the dark, in a big city.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!