View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
lynzy420
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by la rogue View Post
Hi everyone! Happy Valentines Day! My Sophie is 14 weeks old and I'm trying to litter box train (been at this for about 5 weeks now). It is hit or miss and just really don't know how long this is going to take, and if there is something else I need to be doing. I do know if I let her have more room to roam, she doesn't even care about the litter box. Anyone litter box training?
I am litter box training; however, I use pads in the box instead of litter; infact, I am now using washable pads (thanks yt peoples) and I wouldn't do it any other way.

I have 1 yorkie already trained this way and am in the process of training a 14wk old...

I have 3 boxes evenly spaced throughout the house. I have a xpen with a box and a bed and toys and water. She NEVER misses in there.

I spray the attractant (available at any pet supply store) 1 spray in the middle of pad.

I never ever leave her alone yet. If she starts to go I very loudly ehehehehehehehh, grab her and put her in the box.

When I have things to do she goes in the pen. She is now 90% there. Infact this a.m. while playing with my older yorkie she stopped, ran to the box piddled and pooped!

My tips:

1. Do not leave your pup alone.
2. Place your pup in the box every 10-15 mins. say go potty, go potty, go potty.
3. While your pup pees or poops make sure you keep saying" go potty, go potty, go potty"..this will teach them to go on command.
4. Make sure you spray your litter or pad with attractant.
5. If you catch her going elsewhere VERY LOUDLY "EHEHEHEHEHEH" GRAB HER (GENTLY) PUT HER IN BOX AND SAY "GO POTTY, GO POTTY", even if its midstream. (Honestly, I think its easier to train them if you catch them and make them go in box)
6. When done make sure to super praise them and give a small treat everytime, until they get it down pat. Then every other time until your just praising them!

I'm sure others will come along with more. Litter box training is great for us, and our girls! You can do it with patience and time. Key is routine.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!