View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
MyTrixie143
Mom to 6 Beautiful Furkids

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracielove View Post
I honestly don't believe in putting shoes or boots on dogs unless it is an absolute necessity. Like if it is subzero weather or you can only walk them on salty areas. Most dogs don't like them and they were not meant to wear them.

I got some socks for Gracie because her feet get cold when our floors get cold in the winter time. She is OK with them but I only use them occasionally.

If you have salty sidewalks there are disposable foot covers that are a lot like socks except they are waterproof. The dog can still feel the ground under it's feet. It seems to be a better idea than something that makes the dog uncomfortable.
I agree to a point. However, in my case, I love to travel. And Destiny of course always goes with me. I've been in a few situations now where I wished she had shoes on to prevent getting stuff on her feet and hair. Especially when you are walking in a big city with disgusting sidewalks and streets. I don't want all that bacteria and germs on my baby and washing her feet after each time we go out is tiring. With shoes, all you have to do is bleach the bottoms. I do keep her in a full coat so she has lots of hair on her feet/legs. Last summer I was walking her and she ended up with this sticky tar stuff on her feet and hair. I couldn't get it out for nothing, it was awful. The rest of the trip I had to carry her everywhere because of it and it really killed my arms. I've tried those disposable things but I hate them as do the furkids. Plus it turns out to be costly when you are throwing them away and needing them often.

She is getting better with walking in the shoes each day. I know in time she will learn to love it just like she did with clothes. I can't get her clothes out now without her getting excited. It's like a dog learning to wear a collar for the first time. They hate it and scratch at it but eventually get use to it.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!