View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
dawn27
2+2=4 X the Love ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Girls View Post
I might not be the best one to answer this, I had challenges training my puppy, but mostly because I wasn't consistent! Consistency is the key!! So, if she is crate trained...you take her out, put her on the pad, give the command and wait. If she doesn't go, then she goes back into the crate for 10-20 mins...you take her out and try again. After she finally goes (and I would assume she would eventually), you reward with a treat and some play time. But consistency is always the key...she will never go into the kitchen to "go" by herself at first,because she is never going to be left outside her crate unless you are watching her...and every time it looks like she wants to go, you will go with her...then you can praise and reward her good behaviour. You can't get angry when she misses...because she only missed because YOU were not watching her...Get it? That's the theory...and in theory what I did...but my DD and I were not consistent and it took over a year...my own fault (which I accepted and never took out on the puppy)

Good luck!
Very good advise! Except In my experience 10-20 mins is too long. If you wait too long she will relieve herself in her cage and that is a whole lot of trouble waiting to happen.

Try: two or more pads down. Or one little trick I leered was to take a peace of poo and put it on the pad. She will smell her own scent and than know that that it the right place to go poo. Leave it there as long as you can stand the smell but replace it with fresh poo until she gets it.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!