Thread: ACL surgery
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
katy-yorkie
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Buster went in for LP surgery last April, he had a torn ACL as well. Find a board certified surgeon. DO NOT let the vet TRY to fix it. The surgeon did not repair Buster's torn ACL with the fishing line technique. Buster needed a plate and five pins (they have since been removed). If not for the surgeon, I shudder to think of what condition Buster would be in today. Buster had four surgeries on his knees last year. He recently went back for a follow up with the surgeon. A week before, he was in for a routine visit with the vet. The vet wanted to see him walk, he palpitated the knee that had the most recent operation and then determined his knee was not repaired, that the surgery was not a success. He then said, "only an x-ray will tell". When I told him the surgeon would do an x-ray the following week, he completely changed his tune. He picked Buster up, palpitated his knee a bit and told me the knee felt great, everything was fine. The next week at the visit with the surgeon, we were shown the latest x-ray's which determined Buster's knee was just fine, still healing but just fine. I mentioned to the surgeon what the vet had said. The surgeon said about 50% of his business was re-do's. The surgeon also mentioned that the vet should not be palpitating Buster's knees at this time. The surgeon was expensive but I can be certain that Buster got the best care I could get for him. If in the future Maggie needs surgery, she will also go to a Board Certified Surgeon. I don't know why vets are so eager to do the torn ACL/LP surgery themselves.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!