View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
honeycracker
Yorkie Yakker

Unlove He was 1 week old !! =(

Last year we met an adorable owner of a beautiful 3 year old yorkie female.

Since I only had a male yorkie at the time we wanted to breed him. At the second attempt we were successful and after 30 days the Vet told us there were 2 healthy puppies.

Both families were excited since each would keep one pup....so we bought many cute things for the new pup.

When it was time the female had to have a c-section since the puppies were to big and she couldn't have them naturally. The owners decided to spay the female because they didnt want her to have more puppies.

Two healthy males were born and everything was fine.

The owners of the female has scheduled an appointment with the Vet to have their tail docked when they were 6 days old.

They went for the procedure and we told the family to let us know how everything went and we would go see the puppies to see how they were.

The next day after they had their tails docked we went to the house to see the puppies....we were very excited....they told us the bad news....one of the puppies has died.

I sat there in shock...i couldnt believe it.....

The Vet had put the puppies on general anesthesia and one of them couldnt handle it got ill and died....

I cant exactly describe how i felt...everything went quiet and started to cry the loss of the puppy...

I have read books, blogs, talked with other vets, even people who have had yorkies and puppies with with docked tails, etc...and i know there are different opinions regarding if this should be done or not...if the puppies feel pain or not etc..

most of the information ive found and what vets have told me is that you generally dont use general anesthesia due to the high risk this has on the puppies (causing death) and that if you did use it should only be on the area and not put the puppy to sleep.

After i learned that after the vet did the procedure (30 mins after) he gave the puppies back to the owners of the female to take home and they werent even awake!! I mean the vet didnt even wait for the puppies to wake up and check on them to see if everything was ok.

The vet was confronted by the family and didnt want to accept that is was due to the anesthesia and at the end the response she gave was "if it was indeed the anesthesia....the pup had a bad reaction".

I couldnt believe what i was hearing i felt helpless...i was angry at the vet and angry at the female´s yorkies family because they shouldve been on top of the procedure and not allowed the vet to give them the puppies to take home until they were awake.

The whole time we talked to the family they told us everything was ok and there was no problem until the next day we found out one of the puppies died that afternoon.

The name we had picked for him was Nicholas =(
Attached Images
File Type: jpg puppies.JPG (172.7 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg ult.JPG (73.7 KB, 24 views)
honeycracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!