View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 06:35 AM   #2
Sweet Girls
YT Addict

Hi,

I think you are on the right track. When I picked up my puppy (a Mini Schnauzer), my breeder had already started getting her used to standing on a table for grooming...for my part, I continued to get her used to being brushed (every night), and like you are doing, got her used to being touched, poked and prodded...very good practice for a puppy. I combined this with lots of treats and a vocal correction (eh eh) when she moved and I needed her to be still. Now, she was a baby, so my expectations of her staying still was low...but as she got older I expected her to stay still longer. Every grooming session ended on a positive note with a special play session. That and the treats throughout the experience has left my girl with great behaviour for grooming, whether I do it myself at home or have her done professionally. Everyone always comments on how well she waits...no matter what I'm doing to her. My Yorkie came to me older, but I think she was also taught early to be receptive to grooming, as she stands well and puts up with the whole procedure (lots of rewards during) and of course the play session after
Sweet Girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!