View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Jackson was a toothbrush hater for a long time. It was such a struggle that I had basically given up and managed only to brush his teeth when he'd get in the bath tub every week or two.

He had to have a dental in November due to another tooth issue (over-bite, had a vital pulpotomy on his canine tooth) so got them cleaned while under. They weren't terrible but did have some tarter build-up on all of his canine teeth (enough to warrant a cleaning). Anyways now they are shiny and white and perfect and I plan on keeping them that way and hopefully not needing for a long time/never needing another dental (at least that's my goal).

So anyways, after the procedure on his mouth, we weren't allowed to brush for two weeks so I took advantage and every night for those 2 weeks, we would go into the bathroom. First couple of days, he'd just go in there and get a treat. Then I brought out the brush, introduced him to it, let him sniff, etc. Eventually he had started opening his mouth when he saw it. I would lift up his lip, get him used to me touching around his face, etc, and he'd get a treat.

Now he's SOOO good at getting his teeth brushed. He comes into the bathroom with me every night (*almost* sometimes we skip or forget), it's his little routine and he doesn't even put up a fuss. I wouldn't say he enjoys it but he tolerates it and that's what is important!

I bought CET beef flavored toothpaste which he seems to like so I think that helped too. Oh, I also use petzlife about once every 10 days, CET chews once or twice a week, and I sprinkle some PlaqueOff on his food a few times a week.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!