View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
imdll
Senior Yorkie Talker

I am in no way a professional when it comes to knowing about shampoo and conditioners for dogs. Every dog is different and so what might work for one may not work for another but there are certainly some favorites among some of the members here and loads of people with experience. What I can tell you is what my experience has been with my dog Lulu.

Lu seems to be sensitive to some shampoos and conditioners and so I have tried Bio-Groom Fluffy Puppy Shampoo and their Silk Conditioner but that made her really itchy. I switched to EarthBath Hypo-Allergenic Shampoo and the EarthBath Conditioner and Lu wasn't as itchy but still not perfect. Then I switched to EQyss Premier Shampoo and the Premier Conditioner and I also used the Avacado leave in sometimes and the Premier Spray for daily brushing. These products were pretty good as well and I was really hopeful but in the end still not perfect.

My hope was to try and find products that I could buy locally and didn't have to order online. I got the bright idea that maybe it had been the Bio-Groom Fluffy Puppy Shampoo and not the conditioner that had been the issue earlier and so I bathed Lu with the EQyss Premier Shampoo and then used the Bio-Groom Silk conditioner because it really did leave Lu's hair nice and silky and very managable. Horrible idea! Poor Lu starting scratching up a storm as soon as she was dried. I bathed her again right away with the EQyss (which of the products I had tried to that point, she had reacted to the least) and so at least Lu was mostly comfortable right away.

I was going to order some Coat Handler online and got in touch with the main company because I had hoped maybe they had some sample sizes I could purchase before purchasing more 12 or 16 oz bottles of product I couldn't use. They said they don't have trial sizes.

I was considering ordering full size bottles of Coat Handler when I came across some reviews for EarthBath Aloe and Oatmeal Shampoo. Several people said that it had been one of the few shampoos that didn't make their dog itchy. I knew I could get it locally and so I figured I might as well give it a shot. I bathed Lu twice really well with the Aloe and Oatmeal shampoo and left it on her skin for 2 minutes which is supposed to help the Aloe and Oatmeal soothe the skin. I rinsed her super well to make absolutely sure there was no possibility of any residue remaining on her skin and I used the EarthBath Conditioner full strength (it is crazy dry here right now) and left it on for a couple of minutes (which is supposed to let the Oatmeal help moisturize the skin etc.) and then rinsed it really well. Voila!!! We finally have a winner! I don't know if it is because it is not a tearless shampoo and so it is a better ph for Lu's skin or if it is the Aloe and Oatmeal or what it is, but finally Lu isn't itchy. It's kind of a nice bonus that I can purchase it locally too.

I wish you well in your search for a shampoo and conditioner that will work best for you and your little one. I don't think our trial and error experience is the norm, but I thought I would pass along our experience anyway.
imdll is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!