Thread: Dex is sick
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
celstu1
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Cry Dex is sick

Ugh, my heart breaks when one of my boys is sick.

Dexter started throwing up yesterday evening, just 2x before we went to bed at 11pm. During the night though, he threw up many more times. Then again this morning he threw up 2x in under 5 mins. I called the vet and took him in for 9am. They gave him an exam and he was very tense, but seemed to have some pain in his abdomen. They took an xray and there was no blockage or anything in the intestines. They gave him some meds to help him stop throwing up and some subQ fluids under the skin since he was slightly dehydrated.

They said if he throws up again after these meds, then take him back immediately so they can do bloodwork. Its been 2 hours and he has not thrown up again, but hes making gurgly noises and licking his lips like he wants to. Poor baby! He has had nothing but water so far today, vet said to not feed him anything until 5-6 tonight and then only white rice and boiled hamburger or chicken.

My poor little guy!

So a couple notes from the vet too, overall he is a healthy dog. He jumped up to 7.5lbs which is soooo high for him, he is usually only 5.5lbs, vet says hes overweight. he would like to see him at least at 6.5lbs but 5.5 would be ideal for sure. He gave me a food measuring cup and told me they should have no more than a 1/4 cup of food 2x a day (if Dex is overweight, Fletch is obese for sure). He said he has some gum disease and that he needs a dental, it was in my plan for this spring anyways, but it looks like he'll lose 1, maybe 2 teeth. Vet said his knees are perfect, and he was soo impressed with that. And now that he's a SENIOR.. yup... vet called my 6.5 year old puppies SENIORS... they are going to need regular dental care. He said they are technically seniors at 7 years old, so they are borderline! haha I can't believe it!!!! I have 2 almost seniors! I PRAY that my boys stay healthy through their golden years.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!