View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 03:54 AM   #6
bWY39
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

I can relate a similar problem I had and how I resolved it but this may not work for you but perhaps worth a try though.

In my quest to be kind to one of my spaniels I started feeding Chicken and the spaniel decided this was a really good food. As he would wolf it down I stupidly thought he was hungry so gave him more.

Eventually he refused to eat any dog food at all just like yours.

After a time I would crush a little kibble to powder, just a very small amount, and coat the chicken with it.

My Spaniel would still wolf down the chicken disregarding the fact that he was eating the powder kibble as well.

After some time I increased the amount of powdered kibble and mixed it in the bowl with his chicken to get the taste all over the powder.

A short time and I stopped making the powder and just broke the kibble down to small bits and continued to do this getting the kibble bigger each week until eventually I was putting kibble in with his chicken and giving it a good mix to get the chicken taste all over it.

I then started reducing the amount of chicken very slowly over a few weeks but eventually I stopped giving him any at all.

Yes this took time but I had to pay the penalty for my mistake as any dog will tell you they prefer chicken to kibble and if we as the owner give him chicken then we must be prepared to pay the price.

I hope this helps you but it is offered as the method I used to rectify a situation not as advice as to how you should tackle you problem.

Good luck

bWY39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!