View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #15
SophieandZiggy
and Bear too! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie06283 View Post
Do they know what caused the HGE? Ive read that its not contagious but have also read that sometimes multiple dogs in the same house will get it and other times only one will get it. What time of the year did Rusty get it? Daisy had HGE last February and then again the beginning of this winter. Since it has happend two winters in a row I am wondering if this has something to do with the season? Ive also read that putting the dog on a hypoallergenic food can help prevent HGE from happening again. I figure if Daisy has a food allergy, IBD, or HGE, hypoallergenic food is the way to go right now. Im just wondering which type will work best for her and if she will need any other medication from this happening again. She vomited today the first time in about 12 days. She was pretty worked up though since I was trying to give her a hair cut and she had a full belly (not sure if this could be the cause). I figured since she is licking so much its best to shave her hair pretty short. Shes making it difficult though not too happy about it. Her vets groomer is out due to surgery or I would take her there. What type of medication did they put your pups on and did they change their diet? Daisy has been on all sorts of medication and none has seemed to work until the reglan, but she has vomited twice on it in the last 19 days. She is constantly burping and sounding as if she is swallowing her vomit. I have also read that it can take up to 12 weeks for improvement after switching them to hypoallergenic food.

The first episode was in September. There are many things that can cause the HGE from what my vet has explained to me. Ziggy just had his third episode since September, this week. The first time we had no idea what caused it. These last two times we are starting to think it that it was caused by dog treats. From now on I'm going to make sure there is no change in his diet at all. The vet put him on Flagyl and Biomox. He cleared up right away. I feed my dogs Holistic Select chicken meal and rice recipe, and they seem to do great on it. Switching foods can cause upset, and must be done slowly. I have also talked to my vet about IBS but he's really thinking it's the treats. From what I've been reading here on YT, alot of dogs are sesitive to changes in diet any cannot have treats.

Good luck, and if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!