View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
sweetyorkie
Yorkie Talker

Default Please help! My yorkie puppy will die

My Yorkie puppy Bridgett, was diagnosed with portosystemic liver shunt. She needs surgery to save her life! I have been searching for organiazations that could help with the cost for weeks.

A little history on Bridgett:
I bought her from a breeder while in Arkansas on vacation on 9-28-11. I live in California. She was 10 weeks old. After I picked her up, I noticed she was making sound, like she was choking or gaging. Turns out she had kennel cough. I called the breeder the next day. He said "she had her bordatella shot. Maybe it's your air conditioner". I didn't know "anything" about kennel cough. I just told him that we would keep an eye on her. She also didn't want to eat or drink. She also slept alot.
We we got back home to California and she kept getting worse. After having her for only one week, I took her to my vet. She had PNEUMONIA!
I treated the pneumomia at home, giving her IV fluids SQ, anitbiotics, Nutrical and other supplements I ordered.

So, just thinking the kennel cough and pneumonia had taken a toll on her health, I was wondering why she was still looked so bad; thin, looking poorly,unhealthy hair coat, and continuing to be dehydarated. She still never wants to eat or drink water. She was looking so bad, I took her back to my vet on12-29-11, and told her that something was really wrong with Bridgett, and we needed to find out what was going on with her.

My vet ran several tests, including a complete blood panel and a bile acid test. Her bile acids were "off the chart". So, my puppy hasportosystemic liver shunt. It is a genetic defect that diverts blood around her liver intstead of through it. She needs surgery to survive. I contacted the breeder, and all they said was to ship her back and they would send a replacement when one comes available. They do not give refunds or pay vet bills. Very cold! I don't want another puppy! I love Bridgett!

So, until someone can offer financial help with her surgery, which is from $3000 to $6000 at UC Davis, I will continue to treat her by giving her IV fluids SQ, Lactulose, antibiotics, Nutrical, Isotone-SA, Oxydrops and fixing her "low protein" foods. I feel so helpless! She is so tired of being poked with a needle. She starts shaking when she knows what I'm going to do. She does not deserve this! It makes me sick. She is so sweet and loves life. I will not give up on her. It has really taken a toll on me.

I just hate so much, watching her go downhill, and having her look up at me as if she is asking, “Why do I feel so bad? Are you going to poke me with that needle again?”

Please, I know there is help out there. I desperately need help to getthe surgery Bridgett needs to live.

Sincerely,
sweetyorkie
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!