View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #19
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

This topic is of huge interest to me. Temperament is thought to be inherited and developed; ie Nature versus nuture. And it appears for the most part to be both.

What I do find most interesting is that a puppy can have temperament flaws unique to itself and not shared by other litter mates, and come from stable parents and lineage.

Temperament test evaluators (these are mainly used for the working breeds, and some hunting breeds), do have ways for assessing if this dog, has an inborn ie genetic problem, versus a training or discipline shortfall. The vast majority of dogs who exhibit behaviour and or temperament problems, the problem is rightly found in their upbringing. And therefor should be the first line of investigation.

I've long believed that there should be a Temperament Test evaluative standard for all dogs, but particularly companion/toy breed dogs.

A healthy dog no matter what breed it is needs to have a healthy temperament. Each faucet of temperament can be viewed as a temperature gauge. Each breeds' norm is somewhat different on that temperature gauge.

For example; take the term "friendliness or socialbility". Many working and or guard breeds would be low on the scale of friendliness" - their desired breed characteristics swing more to aloofness. These breeds are meant to be calm and confident and if an importune hand reaches out to pet them; they merely swing their head out of contact, or sidestep out of reach. They neither want nor desire stranger contact. Often times this characteristic comes coupled with a deep loyalty and love for their owners. And these are the folks that they seek affection and loving from.

A dog with a flawed temperament should never be breed, no matter how perfect the dog might be in other ways.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!