View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
KazzyK810
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

You have to take your pup out of the carrier and carry her as you go through security.

Pets are supposed to be in carriers at all times other than during the above mentioned security screening. I do unzipped the carrier while it was on my lap, so I could pet my pup, while waiting to board the plane.

As my yorkies have always been pad trained, I just take the carrier to the bathroom, put down a pad and she will go on it. For those with outdoor trained dogs, all airports I'm aware of provide potty areas for service dogs that your dog can use also.

I have never given my pup any kind of medication/sedative before flying and most airlines recommend that you not and some specifically state they will not fly sedated pets.

Fees vary by airline. Southwest is cheap at only $75 each way. Jet Blue has a pet perks program that saves you money & has extra treats for your pup. Sometimes it may be cheaper to buy another seat rather than pay the pet fee depending on the cost of the flight.

Make sure you get a health certificate and documentation of shots (esp. rabies) from your vet prior to travel. I have only been asked for any documentation twice on domestic flights in the States out of well over 30+ times.

My only advice is to keep all the routines prior to travel the same as always, do not give any new treats or introduce any new foods prior to travel. Walk/play with your pup prior to entering the airport so they are tired and want to sleep during travel. Something about the hum of the plane has always helped my yorkie sleep & stay calm. Also, be sure to line the bottom of your carrier with a disposable potty pad and have a few extra on hand (not just in checked luggage) incase of a potty accident in the carrier, you can change it out quickly in the bathroom.

I was always a little stressed before traveling with my yorkie, but she always did great. ZoE has only flown once so far, but my last yorkie flew alot, and I never had really bad experience due to her...only due to delayed/missed connecting flights.

Best of luck with your travel plans.

Last edited by KazzyK810; 01-22-2012 at 01:19 PM.
KazzyK810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!