View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
southernbelle04
Katie Scarlett's Mommy
Donating Member

Question Leaving On A Jet Plane...

Hey guys! Question for you...

My sister in law is expecting her second baby boy in late March, early April. I am so excited to be an aunt again! My husband and I will be taking a vacation to Alabama the 3rd week of March when he has a week off. We will drive though. But knowing our luck, I have a feeling Camden will not be here then. I just know I'm going to get back home and then they call me to tell me she has gone into labor. So I am thinking that this might be a good time for Katie Scarlett's first flight. Of course, I cannot go ahead and pre book the flight because I do not know when she is going to go into labor, but I do want to be there as soon as I can. I did not get to see my first nephew until he was 2 weeks old and I would love to be there to help when they come home from the hospital this time. So I will have to hope I can get on a last minute flight that will have the availability of taking Katie Scarlett with me. If not, I'll just drive the 12 hour drive in 2 days again. But I would love to fly.

Anyways, what all does one need to know about flying? I have no clue how it works. I know I need an air line approved carrier and I suppose I'll have to find one of those. But I have more questions...

1. When we go through security, how does that work? Do I leave her in the carrier while she goes through the scanning thingie or do I take her out?

2. When we are at the gate waiting on our flight, am I allowed to take her out to sit in my lap?

3. I know she needs to use the restroom before we go, so is there a pet place at the aiport after you go through security or do I take her in the restroom with me and put down a pee pad in the stall floor?

4. I know she doesn't need to eat before flight, but provide water. Should I go to my vet to see about meds to make her sleepy for the first time? She does fine in the car but not sure how she will do on a plane.

5. How much is the fee to bring your pet with you? Also, is there paperwork I need to bring with me to the airport for her like her vaccination info or anything?

6. Any tips I might need? I am almost positive we will have to change planes somewhere like Charlotte or Atlanta. I'll probably leave out of Baltimore and fly to Huntsville. AirTran used to do one way flights from BWI to HSV but I believe they are stopping that. So I'm positive I'll have to change planes.

Thank you for any help you can give me. I am sorry to write so much, but being new at this, I have no idea. I know it is still a ways off too, but I want to be prepared.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!