View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
AprilLove
My Three Hearts
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebsmom View Post
Thanks Mary Kay, I did try the bell. She would go over and ring it (quite a bit) just to go outside not necessarily to potty. I researched and found some info on it. It suggested putting the bell only where I could ring it to start with. And only ring it when she goes outside to potty. That way she'll learn to just ring it to potty not just to go outside. So every time we go out to potty I ring it. Maybe after a week or so I'll put it down to her level again. I knew I could count on the yt forum. I love this site. Thanks again.
That is wonderful that she has already rang the bell. I t does take consistency and praise to get them used to it. I also used the keyword when i rang the bell "go potty" every single time. Once Aprillove caught on, she did ring it a LOT, LOL, just to get me to jump up off the couch and see if I would trip hahaha. I got to know her potty habits very well and would take her out each time she rang it and say potty, if she didn't right away and want to play, we would just go right back in with no praises or anything.
She got bored with ringing it just for fun after a few weeks and learned to do it just when she has to go (she actually rings it for my other dogs to go out now too
I think if you stick with it, you will be surprised at how quickly she learns to do it, and won't be dissapointed in the value of using a bell. Especially when you are in another part of the house, you can hear the bell. It is a wonderful tool for sure.
AprilLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!