View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
MorkieMomma
Inactive Account

Animal Smiley 036

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzbeth View Post
Hi All.

I've posted about this before but I really don't know what to do about this situation anymore...

My 6 year old male yorkie is EXTREMELY treat aggressive and also territorial. He will hide in his "cave"-- either a crate or under the bed-- and snarl or snap if anyone tries to get him out. Also, he will take bones and guard them. One solution is to not leave any bones on the ground but I feel like that is just avoiding the problem... is there a way to stop aggressive behavior?

We've tried praising him when he lets us pet him while holding the treat, we are very alpha with him... he seems to have little dog syndrome down to a T! If I go to grab his bone he will snarl at me and try to bite me unless I continue to repeat NO! and then once I take the bone I make him lick my hand, but he has bit my BF and our other dog on SEVERAL occasions. It is to the point that he has drawn blood :-(

I don't want to avoid this problem- I would like tips on how to start to fix it. Advise, tips, first hand experience... all welcome! Let's keep it to constructive criticism, please, no bashing.

Thank you all so much for all the help you've given and will give.
Hi,

I just want to make sure I'm understanding what you're saying.

He takes bones and treats into his crate..or under the bed, and is snappy if you try to remove the bone, pull him out, etc...and is aggressive toward your hubby, you, and your other dog on these occasions?

If this is correct, and he's only doing it in his crate or under the bed, as you outlined, I may sound like a nutjob (which wouldn't be the first time, lol) but I don't see where he's doing anything wrong.

Ours don't do this (yet) but if they did...I probably wouldn't do anything to try and prevent it.

In my opinion, a dog's crate, or under the bed (where they are unnoticeable) is their safe place. Their alone place. For an analogy, take a 12 year old girl, and her 6 year old little brother. If the 12 year old girl goes into her bedroom and shuts the door this indicates that she wants privacy. If the 6 year old little brother just barges in and tries to run off with her CDs or blow dryer....she's definitely going to chuck a fit.

Fact is..your other dog is horning in on your dog's house. His crate is his and his alone. His rules, his house...his safe place. If he takes a treat or bone in there and then someone tries to pull him out of his safe place, well...I'd snap too. lol! Or...if someone tries to take his bone away from him when he is inside his safe place, he's going to act out aggressively because you're inside his house. =/ I don't think it's a matter of alpha personality, I think it's that he feels threatened that people and another dog are horning in on his little safe place that was intended just for him...where he can be alone with his bone.

Does your other dog have their own crate as well? If not..I would suggest getting them both a similar crate with similar bedding, and make sure that neither one is allowed to wander into the other's crate....much like a parent would do with skin kids. This has worked well with "toy aggression" with Sprout and Bella. They don't do the growly-biting thing, but I imagine they would probably do the same thing yours does if one was in their safe place.

If I misunderstood you....and your dog is doing this ALL OVER the house at any time and all the time, anywhere, and not just his crate or under the bed as outlined in your original post....then disregard everything I said...because I have no idea. hehe

MorkieMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!