View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
Jamie06283
Senior Yorkie Talker

Unhappy Yorkie diagnosed with Hemorrhagic gastroenitis?

I need any advice or opinions on what may be wrong with my one and half three pound yorkie.

I have a three pound yorkie that is a year and a half old. At the beginning of December 2011 she vomited once at night for about three days in a row. On the third day she had diarrhea with a lot of blood that continued to drip out of her the whole way to the vet which is a 25 minute car ride. They diagnosed her with hemorrhagic gastroenteritis after looking at the blood work. They gave her an antibiotic and metronidazole and kept her over night to keep her on IVs and a catheter. They also switched her to science diet i/d. About a week later she started to vomit once daily again. I called the vet and they gave her a weeks worth of metronidazole. A couple days later she continued to vomit again so they gave her medicine for an ulcer. This still did not work. So I brought her in and they ran xrays which looked normal so they gave her an injection of cerenia. About a week later she had another bloody diarrhea so I took her back to the vet where they gave her fluids, then they ran a barium xray. The barium xray was moving slower then normal out of the stomach which made them believe that she had a blockage. We decided to allow them to perform exploratory surgery. Everything looked normal, so they checked her blood work again which came back normal, then tested her for Addison's disease and pancreatis, which she doesn't have either of them, and checked for a liver shunt (which doesn't have either). A day after the surgery they started her on reglan and then four days after the surgery started her on amoxicillin because she got an infection around the stitches from the surgery. I thought the reglan was working, but last night she vomited twice within five minutes of each other. Im not sure what to do at this point. I started her on IAMs cat fish and potato which is supposed to be hypoallergenic and promote gastrointestinal health the day of her surgery which was 1/9/12. In the morning I measure out a half cup of her food and then give it to her in tiny portions four to five times through out the day. Sometimes I will mix water in with it because shes not drinking a lot of water. She has been playful this whole time and still has energy. Shes normally a high energy dog. Every night around 730 she gets all her energy and then plays for about two hours. Now shes been playing for maybe a half an hour to hour so not as much energy as normal but still active.
Observations Ive made of her: she was sneezing occasionally, she licks a lot (ex. shes always like the hair on her legs), about 95 percent of the time she is vomiting at night. She used to have a bowel movement three to four times a day. Now she has one once a day (in the morning). They thought she had hemorrhagic gastroenteritis in february 2010 (they treated her and she was better within a week when this occurred in february 2010). She was also tested for giardia in February and that was negative. If it is the same thing both have occurred in the winter (we use a Humidifier in the winter. Not sure if that would cause this?), she makes a strange licking noise in her mouth, and sometimes sounds like shes going to get sick but does not. Also when she started the reglan I noticed a lot of hair come out in her bowel movement (seemed to be mine and hers). I also noticed this morning a lot of hair in her bowel movement (mine and hers). Not in pain when I touch her stomach and doesnt act like she's sore in that area. My thoughts are could she have hair causing a blockage or maybe a food allergy that's causing her intestines to become inflamed? I just have no idea at this point. I have talked to vets about her issues.
Any suggestions??
Jamie06283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!