View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #15
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

^ There's nothing WRONG with that. I think it just depends on the dog. I don't see a reason to stop these things if they are healthy dogs with no issues, but that's just my personal view.

I really don't believe I could EVER keep Jackson down or stop him from running and I wouldn't want to, his quality of life would go downhill for him. Just a fact. It's simply second nature to him to jump up on high things, furniture, etc, etc. He runs like a mad man whenever he gets the chance, whether at the dog park or in my dads fenced in back yard, where he hits speeds of up to 20MPH (yes I clocked him, LOL). I LOVE it- his legs are soooo strong, I can FEEL his muscles when petting him. Vet checks have always been good too, he's got very healthy knees. I encourage back leg strength by doing hind end awareness exercises (such as backing up stairs backwards, crawling, sitting pretty, run up hill with me, etc). Why wouldn't I want him to learn to do these things for himself? I love the fact that he's willing to try new things - jump up on a park bench, hop on a fallen down tree stump, jump on my back. It gives him confidence and independence and I've always encouraged it since he was a pup. Keeps his butt in shape!!

Different strokes, different folks, no ways are wrong. It's just how I prefer to let my dog live the best as he can. My dads dogs are both overweight (one only slightly, the other VERY overweight) and can't do anything for themselves like jumping on the bed, getting on the couch... on the rare occasion that they actually run a lot, their legs are weak and they walk very slow for the rest of the day, and both have checked out okay at the vets per x-rays, etc, it's just that since they don't do it much, their legs have not built up that muscle. I personally find it super annoying (the whining, barking to get up on the bed, when only 5 mins later they get back down). They both were capable of getting on furniture until my dad and stepmom allowed them to get lazy.

Not to say if he needed surgery and needed to be penned for 8 weeks, we'd get through it, and I'd force him to get better, but I'm never going to let his quality of life get to the point where he can no longer be as active as physically possible and enjoying what he loves to do. Besides, he would much rather be going on a long hike with me, or a run through the woods, than being in my arms, but that's just Jackson and it's how I raised him.

Last edited by Britster; 01-20-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!