View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Default Anyone watch the TV show Hoarding?

There are several TV programs about hoarding and animal hoarding. I think it would be great to talk about this because it affects so many people, especially women. Hoarding always occurs after a significant loss, and it’s not the person’s fault, they cannot help what they are doing and it’s only because they are suffering extreme depression and loss. This depression, in turn, keeps them from getting a real handle on the situation. Also, because have gotten use to the smells and inconvenience of their environment, they really don’t see it for what it is, but they do feel great shame and this prevents them from letting people be close to them. They use material possessions to build walls, in order, to protect themselves from being hurt. It’s kind of like collecting gone wild! They probably were shamed as children as a means of discipline and this isn’t a good way to discipline children because it produces feelings of worthlessness, yet we always want to return to a familiar feeling, especially after a significant loss, so we manage to produce that feeling in ourselves. Another thing, I learned from watching the program is that many hoarders are perfectionists! Hard to believe, but because they have such high standards and can’t get anything perfect, they have given up, and also, what a great way to shame themselves.

I know I have a little problem with hoarding it’s very difficult for me to toss out something I think will be usable in the future, also it was very hard for me to get rid of my diseased parents’ things, even though I didn’t want them, there definitely was an emotion attached to certain items. I had to tell myself giving up the item wasn't giving up the memory. I think the program has actually helped me in dealing with my problem and has reduced the anxiety I experience when I have to get rid of something.

The animal hoarding shows are especially hard to watch, the animals are seriously being abused and the people are in such denial. Of course, for a serious hoarder even having a couple of pets can be a bad idea. I saw a program the other night where the house was so filthy and there were cock roaches in the dog’s food, and poor dog seemed so sad when he wanted to eat, and just ran away from his food. Anyway, for anyone who suspects that they might have a problem, I hope you can watch the program and tackle your problem before it becomes overwhelming.

Join today and remove this ad!