View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 07:26 AM   #6
FlDebra
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryalice40 View Post
I don't think I will keep one. I don't need another. But just the thought. I have seen some small adults and they are just adorable. If I did keep one, and it got bigger, yes I know they can end up whatever size they want to, but I'd still love him just like I do the rest of my dogs. What do you think I would do? Beat him to death for growing bigger? lol...

Well, I think 7 lbs is quite small for a dog. He was supposed to be smaller due to the size of his parents but it didn't work out that way. These yorkies at 2 or 3 lbs, I haven't seen it, but I can't imagine.. My guess would be that these dogs would be a bit unhealthy and probably not fed too well in the process.

I would never want a small one that I would buy one in that shape or do one that way. I give my dogs some table food with their kibbles for it isn't enough to fill them up. Just like chicken and scrambled eggs sometimes.

Now if one was just naturally that size, that would be great. I would buy one if that was the case.
You are sort of talking in circles....I do that too -- some days more than others but this is too important of a decision to be so undecided.
First you say you "would like to keep one "if it might end up being around 5 or 6 lbs."
Then you say "I don't think I will keep one. I don't need another. "
Then you say, "I would never want a small one that I would buy one in that shape or do one that way. "
and then... you say, "Now if one was just naturally that size, that would be great. I would buy one if that was the case."

You are also making some faulty assumptions about the size of the dog and that meaning they had to be mistreated or starved. That might happen but certainly is not always the case. Genetics is the biggest factor in the size of the dog. A 9 pound Yorkie should not be bred as that is way over the breed standard. They are meant to be small dogs, under 7 pounds. When only dogs under 7 pounds are bred, then there are occasionally very healthy tiny pups. A 2-3 pound yorkie is not uncommon and can be very healthy -- but they do need extra vigilance as they tend to be more fragile.

A 5-6 pound yorkie is actually AVERAGE sized for this breed. So, it is not a tiny yorkie but a tiny dog. It is not usually a good sign when a person's main concern about their dog is the size. They are wonderful, personable dogs that win your heart over and over. There are a million reasons to love them! If you were coming to me for a pup, I would have to turn you away for now and tell you to think about this for a year or so and really decide WHY you want a yorkie and what is important to you about that decision. I would also want you to do some research into the breed and know more about them. This is a large investment, not just financial, but emotional, time wise, and they will become a part of your family. So, it is important to be sure of what you are doing and WHY! If a dog being a pound or two larger than you plan is going to disappoint you or would be a reason for NOT getting a dog, then it is probably not the right decision.

Last edited by FlDebra; 01-17-2012 at 07:30 AM.
FlDebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!