View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
ashleyr0512
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Potty Training Help...(Yes i read the articles above first)

I have read tons of forums on potty training and they all have very good ideas. I have tired to incorporate some of all of them however it is not even coming close to working.

My husband and I are new to the area (Goldsboro NC) and this is our first puppy as a couple. We both work mon-fri. So the puppy is left at home Mon-Fri from 800am to 4 or 5 pm. Our jobs are 30-45 mins away so coming home on lunch is turning out to be very expensive and making our bosses a bit angry because we are having to take longer than normal lunches. We don't have any family or friends in the area that can come and help so this isn't an option.

When we are home with Cooper we do the leash attachment type training. The puppy is constantly tied to one of us so we can watch and catch him urinating. It's not working very well at all. In the beginning we were able to catch him (He would get very still and stretch his body out to urinate). We would do the loud AH! and take him outside. Now he just walks around and pees. There is no warning or pausing. He just walks and pees. Of course this makes the problem worse because there isn't just a single puddle of pee but a foot long stream.

I've also read that we should place him in a crate when we aren't interacting with him. for some reason i find this cruel. Can someone please help me change my thinking on this? I see where it helps but i feel like leaving an active puppy in a crate because i'm busy is cruel to him.

With all the difficulties i'm having potty training him i have been thinking a lot about a potty patch. I"I've always been so against the potty patches. 1 i feel like the pup has to be trained twice. Once to use the potty patch and once to go outside. It just seems to be double the work. I don't want this to be a FOREVER bathroom just a temporary one to help out until he catches on about going outside ONLY. Also, I find it kind of gross. A place my pup is allowed to poop and Pee in the house isn't appealing at all. I've been thinking about where i would put the patch. I definitely don't want to sit in the living room and look at my dogs bathroom. Don't want it in the dining areas or kitchen or bedroom for reason that are obvious and the bathroom is too small. But on the flip side of that it would be much better to have him go to one area and know where to expect it versus walking through the house and stepping in it all through the house.

I really need advice..counseling.. ideas.. teaching..anything.

Very stressed!
ashleyr0512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!