View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
hncooley
Yorkie Yakker

Default is 4 months old enough to go to the groomer?

i took my 4 month old puppy to petsmart the other day (was there looking for clothes and wanted to see if they'd fit him), and a lady from the grooming department came over to me and asked me if i'd be interested in getting him groomed. i said not right now, maybe when he's a little older. i then received a huge lecture on how it was better to start grooming him now when he's young to get him accustomed to it, as yorkies are the kind of dogs that need frequent grooming, and it's better to get them used to it while they are babies as opposed to when they are grown.

it makes sense to me, but i can't help but wonder if she's only encouraging me to bring him to to make more money for her business. i've been brushing him every day and i've also been turning on the hair dryer and shears around him to get him used to the sound, but i hadn't considered actually taking him to get groomed yet because he is so small and his hair is so short that i'm not sure what kind of grooming they could do with him just yet.

i just wanted to ask for your opinions, as i am a first time yorkie owner and you guys all seem very experienced.. is 4 months too young to get your yorkie groomed? if so, what's a good age to start?
hncooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!