Old 01-16-2012, 08:41 AM   #12
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameroth View Post
Even if it was 6 months ago (shot). He isnt acting sick
at all.
Yes, and they don't act sick bc it is a localized infection, as opposed to a systemic infection. Is it possible you may have missed seeing it earlier, when it was just beginning? I know when I found a lump on my cat, enough time had passed that I had to really think about what it could be....then I remembered the chip.

When I read your post and saw lump in neck and surgery, red flags went off in my head, bc it is a very common reaction in many pets who routinely get vaccinated. We may not hear about it alot, mostly bc it is not life threatening and usually resolves on it's own, although it can take up to a year in some animals.

There are always risks with surgery. Always do pre op bloodwork before any procedure. I almost lost my second Yorkie to an elective cosmetic procedure, she had bumps on her head, and the vet said they would most likely grow back. She did survive, and the lumps never came back, but I developed a deep respect for surgery and I never take it lightly, even though it may be a very minor procedure.

One suggestion would be to wait until he gets his next dental, and have the vet excise the lump (if it's still there and just under the skin, floating) at the same time as his dental. At least that way, you avoid putting him under anesthesia twice... hence doubling the risks.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!