View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #33
KaseyLyn05
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracielove View Post
I don't want to sound too casual about this but it is normal for a dog to lick a wound. Licking is not going to hurt her incision. Of course you don't want her to chew or pull at the stitches or whatever is there but it is unlikely that she will harm herself.

I have had female dogs all my life and have never used a collar. Collars seem to have come into fashion in the last few years. For several years I have been spaying and neutering feral cats. I have to release them back outdoors after only two days because they are more than ready to go. Cats are the worst for chewing and licking things that bother them and I have never had a problem with any of them harming an incision area.

When Gracie was spayed she would occasionally lick her incision site. If she licked more than 7 or 8 times I would tell her no and distract her with something else but usually a few light licks was all she cared to give. She sleeps right next to me so I knew she was sleeping all night. Please don't fret yourself too much over this. She is going to be fine. It is highly unusual for a dog to open a spay incision. Your girl sounds like a happy healthy little one. I don't think she sounds destructive or neurotic. Just keep an eye on her and try to prevent any overly wild play. Other than that let her be herself.

Thank you for the advice! That actually really made me feel better. Seriously, I am such a worry wart when it comes to her, and i'm paranoid! LOL It's only b/c of how much she means to me though. I will take your advice! It's good to hear that from someone with experience with females! Thank you

KaseyLyn05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!