View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #15
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britster View Post

Bordatella I can understand more, especially if your dogs are around other dogs a lot, dog parks, pet stores, etc. KC is a pain. But the tricky thing with bordatella is that it does not cover all strains of kennel cough, so a dog could still get it even with having the vaccine. So I don't know, I haven't decided if I'll do bordatella again.

But your dog is not ANY more protected getting vaccines every year than if they got them every 3 years for example. Because it's the SAME exact vaccine. There is no difference between "1 year" or "3 year" or whatever. So getting your dogs vaccinated every year is not protecting them in any way and all you are doing is adding unnecessary chemicals into their body year after year.

The thing is, a lot of vets don't want to give up that money they get from yearly vaccines. Let's face it - most dog owners wouldn't want to fork up the dough to get titers and a majority of people ONLY take their dogs to the vet when they need vaccines. It's a HUGE money maker for them. Of course a lot are going to continue recommending yearly. Now, an owner like me, I'll be at the vet at least once a year anyways for annual check-ups, bloodwork, etc so they'll still get their money from me. But an average owner... does not do this.

The latest scientific research proves that after the first course of injections as a puppy most dogs are immune against these diseases for at least seven years, if not for life. I don't see why anyone would think vaccinating every year is necessary in any shape or form.

Oh and Jackson is very active, always outside, in the woods, in the farmfields, playing with other dogs, at dog parks, in pet stores weekly, at the beach, etc, etc, and I still will not be vaccinating every year.
Yeah, I’m still up in the air about Bordetella, I can’t really go to some grooming places without it, and Joey gets his nails clipped at the groomers in between visits with his breeder.

I do think it’s unfair to suggest that vets give the vaccines because they are greedy and this is a huge part of their income. Wouldn’t they suggest titers if this were true? In my opinion, I think vets have a different perspective and see more obvious illness from not getting the vaccines rather than getting them, so they still believe that this is the safest thing to do for the majority of dogs. When there is indeed more proof that over vaccination is harmful and does indeed cause problems, vets will be more open to suggesting alternatives.

Join today and remove this ad!