View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
yorkienewbie
Senior Yorkie Talker

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britster View Post
I do agree that it depends on your dogs lifestyle. But I still feel that over-vaccinating causes much more harm than good.

I've done bordatella because Jackson has had KC twice in his life and prefer not to deal with it. However it was super easy to treat, for us, and gone within a few days of antibiotics. So the bordatella is usually the only "non core" vaccine that I give, due to us constantly being at dog parks, pet stores, other dogs, etc.

Jackson tested positive for lymes after coming up limping, so he was actually showing symptoms. He was treated very easily and back to normal within a day of meds (that were not very expensive). His lyme test is now negative and I keep him on either advantix and frontline all year, which I feel is enough prevention. Our vet does not recommend the lymes vaccine for us, especially since people are trying to link the vaccine to possible kidney problems and sometimes even symptoms that make it look like they have Lyme's Disease.

I like this link: 01 Lyme Disease - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company! and Dr. Schoen–Lyme Disease: Fact from Fiction

But as far as DHPP... if a dog gets DHPP at 1 year old (or even their puppy vaccines) they are typically immune for life. Sometimes you may have to re-booster once in the dogs life but certainly not every year, or even every 3 years. I will most likely titer Jackson later this year to see how much adequate response he still has to the vaccines he received in the past... but there is no reason to believe that vaccinations do not last for the life of the dog. Duration of immunity studies are proving that to be true.

Age and long-term protective immunity in dogs ... [J Comp Pathol. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

This is another good read:
Science of Vaccine Damage
Thank you for the links!!!
yorkienewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!