View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

For me, at that kind of price, I want a whole lot of pedigree behind the stud or the breeding female I buy. I want a very good health record in the lineage. The breeder better be dotting all the i's and crossing the t's there. Don't know if it is highway robbery or not; it all depends for me on the quality, the time invested by the breeder, their demonstrated commitment to the breed, through a number of ways.

There was a great thread here some time ago; that linked what an experienced "breeder" would ask questions of the breeder they are thinking to buy a pup from.

Unfortunately I can't find it right now.

But some of the questions are: 1) What type of activities are you involved in, in support of this breed 2) Are you a member of the local/national breed club? 3) Beyond conformation shows, are you actively involved in any performance sports with your breeding dogs...and if so, what sports? 4) What is the temperament testing protocol you follow when evaluating the litter - why?

For some folks perhaps many folks, these questions, might be a moot point. But the gist of her checklist, is primarily first to really think about why and what you want from this dog of this breed you are thinking of buying. What is important to you, as the purchaser?

My own criteria has and quite frankly still is developing, but has matured as I have, over the course of owning and breeding purebred dogs.

Perhaps for me One and Two absolutes almost at a tie are : Health and Temperament.

I want to insure for me that any dog I purchase has the best testing behind them to help to insure great health and structure.

Temperament: Apart from health, is perhaps the number one reason a whole lot of folks give up their dogs; they can't or don't want to spend the time, effort, and in some cases money to remediate any dog that shows for example aggressive behaviour; or is too fearfull/timid/anxious. Their dog nips Their dog bites. Their dog barks. Their dog is a submissive pee-er.

the inheritability of temperament is somewhat unclear; at least scientifically. How-ever there appears to be a causal relationship between the parents temperament and the offspring, which can be mitigated somewhat by their environment and proper up-bringing.
In other words if you breed two aggressive dogs together or two timid dogs together, you are highly likely to get a litter that in main will be either aggressive or timid.

Many breeders overlook temperament as secondary or even tertiary conformation. They would reluctantly pull or never pull from their breeding pool, dogs that exhibit temperament flaws, all else being very good (structure, coat, color, size). This is a failing in my belief.

For to breed any breed to the breed standard, temperament is a huge part of what a breed is.

Last edited by gemy; 01-13-2012 at 10:11 AM.
gemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!