View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
Teresa Ford
Therapy Yorkies Work
Donating Member

Hello. You asked good questions. 1. All 4 of my Yorkies have their own wire crate. It is their own private room, they do not have to share anything in their crate. I feed my dogs in their crate, and this is why, they do not all eat the same food or amount (different ages, physical needs etc) I want to know who ate what and how much. There is no fighting over food. Rubin sleeps where ever he wants, usually in his open crate. Gracie sleeps with me, Abba and Ginny Joy sleep in their own crates, with the doors closed. They are still pups and do not have free run.
2. Guarding toys is natural. But that doesn't mean you have to allow it. I allow my Yorkies to have one special toy and each has their own treat Kong. I do not let them fight over other toys. I take the toy away from both and put it out of sight for awhile. You will be able to tell if they are just playing together, like chase or tug or if they are truly guarding.
3. Because you are aware of both dogs needing attention, you will do a good job. Remember to give alone time to the new puppy, so she can bond with you. You already have the older dogs loyalty. Soon things will settle into a routine.
4. It is helpful for the older dog to help teach the younger dog where to poop. Put the pup on a leash and when the other dog goes, walk her to their pee or poo. Let her sniff, if she goes potty praise like crazy, maybe even treat. When she makes a mistake in the house. Do not correct, just pick up the mistake and take it outside where you want her to go. I use washable pee-pads. I blotted up pee and took the pad outside to mark the outside potty place. I also placed poo on a pee pad near the fence. (for some reason my dogs prefer two spots one for pee, and one for poo. I use the washable pee-pad when they are confined to the x- pen when I can not be home. My pups Abba & Ginny Joy were able to go all night when they were about 6 months old. (Abba only had one accident in his crate) Ginny got me up almost every night to go out, and had maybe 5 accidents before she could go all night.
Hope this helps.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!