View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 06:03 AM   #1
Sophie2010
Yorkie Yakker

Default Need some advice managing two furbabies, please!

Hi Everyone,

We are proud parents to Sophie, who is 1 year and 3 months. On Sunday we brought home Rudy at 12 weeks.

The first night was a little rough with Sophie snapping a lot and not really being that fond of Rudy. The next day we kept Rudy in her x-pen a lot so Sophie could look around, sniff, etc. Then alternated some time together and Sophie getting alone time.

It's Friday and things are going really well. They play tug and chase each other. Sophie is still setting boundaries and snapping a bit when Rudy gets too close or does something she doesn't like. But there are still a few questions I have and would greatly appreciate your advice because I have never had two dogs:

1) Currently, they both have separate crates and I don't know if they'll ever want to share one and I will NOT push it until they show me that is something they're interested in. Do any of you have your furbabies sleep together and when did this start happening? Also, when did they or do they cuddle while napping?

2) Feeding. Right now I feed Sophie first. Before I do I put Rudy in her x-pen and then feed her in there. However, I don't want to keep this pen up forever, but Sophie gets very snippy if Rudy gets close to her or her food. She's not like this with us, we can take her food away, touch her mouth, etc while eating, but she doesn't like Rudy doing it. She also does this with certain chew toys. How can we eliminate this behavior?

3) We've been giving Sophie the same amount or even more attention than usual (which is TONS!), but I want to make sure we're not neglecting Rudy. How did you balance this?

4) Since Sophie is house-broken (99% of the time) I forgot what it's like having a pup who's not. Rudy is going pee outside and we even have snow on the ground! However, she only poops inside 2 hours after she eats! Sophie goes right away after meals. Any suggestions?

In addition, the first two nights Rudy went the night without peeing in her crate. The other nights she's gone in her crate with no warning or whimpering to take her out. The crate is sectioned off so she has just enough room to turn around, stand, and lay. However, I do have a blanket in there or towel, should I remove those so she doesn't pee on them. And, when should she start being able to hold it through the night? Or should I just take her out even if she doesn't whimper?

Sorry for all the questions, but I appreciate your help!

Sylvia
Sophie2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!