View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
BabyFidgette
Learn Yorkie CPR!
Donating Member

Omg Can you REALLY teach an old dog NOT to pee on the carpet?

Hello fello YTers! For those who don't know me, I'm Nicole. I have a 6y/o Yorkie named Baby. We have been a member on YT since 2005. We took a little break, but are back to say hello, spread some knowledge, and ask a question or two.

So here is our story...Overall Baby is a good dog. She knows her commands, goes potty outside (mostly), extremely friendly, loves my 1 y/o nephew, etc. My only problem with her is her "accidents" sometimes on the rug. Now, I have the word accident in quotations b/c they are not accidents. I know that some of you may think that dogs don't know it's wrong, yada, yada. But believe me, Baby knows. For example, the other night I'm in my bedroom getting dressed and I turned around and she was out of the room for two seconds. I called her name and she came running so fast back into the bedroom and ran right under the bed. So of course, I said, what did you do? Sure enough, she peed on the carpet in the living room. So, she knows it's bad, it's like she doesn't know how to tell me! Sometimes if I'm on the computer she will look at me and bark or stand by the doorway and bark. Then I know to take her out. Then other times she doesn't want to be bothered to tell me. I don't know what to do. I take her out all the time and only give her treats when she goes outside. I praise her up and down. She knows she's being good when she goes outside. And she knows she's bad when she goes inside. It's so weird. So, besides putting her in a crate (which I won't do-anxiety problems) anyone have any ideas of how to make it stop? I just moved into this new condo and it has all fairly new Berber carpet. My old place had wood and Pergo, so it was easy to clean up. If she keeps going on the rug I'm going to have to tear it up in no time!

Any suggestions for this old timer? Thanks!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!