View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #10
dawn27
2+2=4 X the Love ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieMiki View Post
Nope I don't have any yard I live in an apartment in Los Angeles. There are lots of weird dogs roaming the streets that could have diseases. Hes only 14 wks and needs his last shots...I will eventually train him to go in and outside that's my goal.

But yeah I've noticed he will often pee on the pad more than poop. He poops all over the place or at least tries to and I have to say AH AH AHH. loudly to stop him. And try to have him poop on the pad

Any thoughts on transitionimg him to outside in a few wks? I've been putting grass on his pee pads to have him associate grass with potty
I myself prefer to use news papers instead. Because they are much cheeper and do the same job as the more expensive pads. If you do not receive the local paper (you could ask neighbors to save them for you).

A pup is triggered by scent! That is why they have their nose to the ground in search of just the right place to go. When you use papers you layer them two to three layers deep. When changing them out for fresh ones, you always take the layer from the bottom of the stack and place them on top of the new layers. That way their scent is there and will encourage potty on the papers.
As for the poo (This may be gross, but it works) take a bit form an accident and place it on the papers. Just until they get the hint. That this is where I should be doing it. (You will need to replace it with fresh poo from time to time) just until they get the hang of things.

One good way to get your pup on the right track to transition to out door potty time is to have the potty area close to the door. That way they associate the door with potty time. Maybe even have his leash hanging close to the door. Having a set routine for potty time will also help.

I am in no way an expert, I can only tell you what has worked for me with the hopes that it can do the same for you. I have had much success with training all four of my Yorkies... and have added the steps on my web site. Take a look and hopefully it will work for you as well. Dawn's Yorkies / Yorkie Puppies / For Sale, Ohio
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!