View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
manina
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkii25 View Post
Hi,
My yorkie is 6 months old today. Regarding my pup's routine, I live in the city and I try to take her out for walks around the block as much as I can. I do not take her to the dog park yet. She mostly stays at home during the day because I am at work and the weather is very cold now in Montreal- so she can only withstand the temperature for 5-10 min at a time during our walks.

I got her from a breeder when she was 3 months old. My breeder took care of the first vaccination, which included: DA2pp (base) (Distemper, Adenovirus, Parvovirus, Parainfluenza).

The second vaccination included: DA2pp (base) + Lepto + Rabies shot

The third vaccination included: Lepto + DAPPv (Distemper, Adenovirus, Parvovirus, Parainfluenza, (Pomona, grippotyphosa, canicola, icterohaemorrhagiae).

I want to know if my dog received the right vaccines. I am worried about side effects or long term negative effects that these vaccines may have. When my yorkie received the vaccines, she didn't have severe reactions to them, she simply was very quiet and calm for 2 days and slept a lot. After her 3rd vaccination, she shivered a little bit, but the vet said it was due to stress and to the pain of the shot (in her left leg). My vet wants to give my pup a 4th vaccination- yet another dose of Lepto and DAPPv. I've read mixed reviews about the vaccines that my dog received and I am not sure what to do. Is a 4th vaccination necessary? I would greatly appreciate some advice and help on this matter. thanks!
Hi I know what you are talking about , I have two 14 weeks and on their 2nd set of vaccines, the breeder didn't do any. My vet said they will get their 3rd set which is Lepto + Dappv and than on the 4th they will get their Rabies shot last and by it self. He said they are so small they are now 2.4 and 3.0 so he wanted a little more to them b4 doing the rabies.
My both got a severe reaction since the 1st set. A real big lump on the shots site, I was so scare, It felt like a big size cherry. I had to take them back in and was told to give them benedryl Liquid every 6-7 hrs and heating pads 2-3 x a day. It work after 2 days it went away , but now we have to premed b4 going to the vets for shots. If the vet does the premeds with a shot it will cost 19.00 dollars each shot. So I will premeds at home at least 1/2 hr b4 they go in. They will get 1 cc of the baby benedryl 12mg/ml.

I do belived in their shots being up to date. I lost a pup to parvo, many years old. So I just get all their shots done, it's a piece of mind for me and I feel better takening them everywhere and they will be ok.
Good Luck !! I know same here don't belived in all those shots , but I guess you do what you think is best.
Congrats on your furbabies

Last edited by manina; 01-08-2012 at 04:43 PM.
manina is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!