View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #9
SophieandZiggy
and Bear too! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorkieMomma View Post
Okay, maybe I'm just an overprotective freakazoid, but I wouldn't take Bella anywhere near the groomer's until every last puppy shot had been administered. You know you take excellent care of your pets, but you don't know if everyone else does. Most groomers are in it for the love of dogs, but some are not. Make sure the facilities are clean and well kept. I would also recommend shadowing the groomer for a few days (watching them work with *other* peoples dogs) and see how they treat them. If they don't allow you to do this, I wouldn't trust them with a 10 foot pole.

Lastly, I wouldn't take a Yorkie to any groomer who uses the table collar. It's just as bad as putting a collar on a Yorkie and taking them for a walk (a big no no). I don't know what the table collar is called, but it's where they have the grooming table, with a short 'pole' on one side that has a cord attached, and a round collar on the end. This keeps the dog on the table. However, unfortunately it can also lead to strangulation, damaged trachea, and worse if the puppy jumps or falls off the table.

Sorry...but groomers scare the cwap out of me. There are lots of horror stories about puppies and doggies getting injured (some severely) at groomers. We brought Brussels home from the groomer's in AZ when we lived there and she had cut the bridge of his nose somehow. It never did heal completely, as he has scar tissue on it. Since then I have learned the valuable lesson of knowing your groomer like the back of your hand before letting your pet near him or her.

I got the same advice from my vet about grooming or even a trip to Petco. He said to wait until all shots were given.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!