Old 01-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #11
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkieusa View Post
Wiener Backhendl

(Austrian breaded fried chicken)

Viennese fried chicken has a long history reaching back to the 18th century, when it was much in vogue as a dish for the aristocracy and upper classes. Serve with lemon wedges and parslied potatoes, potato salad or a tossed green salad. Backhendl is also popular in Munich for Oktoberfest. Also known as Backhähnchen or poulet frit à la viennoise.

4 to 6 servings

Ingredients
•Chicken, cut into serving pieces -- 3 pounds
•Lemon juice -- 2 tablespoons
•Salt and pepper -- to season
•Flour -- 1 cup
•Eggs, beaten with a little water -- 2
•Breadcrumbs -- 1 1/2 cups
•Oil for deep frying

Method
1.Toss the chicken in a large bowl with the lemon juice, salt and pepper. Set aside to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
2.Put the flour in one bowl, the eggs in another bowl and the breadcrumbs in a third bowl. One at a time, dip the chicken pieces first in the flour, then in the egg, and finally in the breadcrumbs to coat. Set the breaded chicken pieces on a baking sheet to let the coating set.
3.Heat the oil to 370°F. Deep fry the chicken pieces for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Reduce heat to low and continue to cook for another 20 minutes, turning often. Drain on paper towels and serve hot.

Variations
•Finish cooking the backhendl in a 350°F oven if you like.

Wiener Backhendl Recipe (Austrian breaded fried chicken) | Austria | Whats4Eats
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencar98 View Post
Of course my Mom's fried chicken was and will always be for me the best. Her secret is a cast iron skillet. Start with cooking the legs and thighs first, as they take longer to cook than a breast does. You want to start out with a higher heat to brown the chicken coating, and then reduce the heat to finish cooking. Don't crowd the skillet when browning the chicken, allowing space between the pieces ensures an even crisp browning. Also, don't turn the chicken until it's browned on one side, then allow the next side to brown before turning, etc.. (this keeps the chicken from sticking to the pan, and losing the batter)) Legs and thighs cook in about 45 -55 min., the breasts (if cut in half) will cook in 35 - 45 min. depending upon cook temp.

Mom and my older sister always tried to re-create KFC's 11 secret herbs and spices. They got close but there is one spice revealed I recently heard (History Channel show, I think) about but couldn't remember the exact name....it was some kind of cherry pepper tree or something similar to that.

Mom's ingredients are: Flour, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic and onion powders, a small amount of oregano, and rosemary.

She didn't double batter or soak in any buttermilk like other recipes.

Ooooooh! These sound gooooood! Thanks!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!