View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 08:34 PM   #10
jencar98
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Of course my Mom's fried chicken was and will always be for me the best. Her secret is a cast iron skillet. Start with cooking the legs and thighs first, as they take longer to cook than a breast does. You want to start out with a higher heat to brown the chicken coating, and then reduce the heat to finish cooking. Don't crowd the skillet when browning the chicken, allowing space between the pieces ensures an even crisp browning. Also, don't turn the chicken until it's browned on one side, then allow the next side to brown before turning, etc.. (this keeps the chicken from sticking to the pan, and losing the batter)) Legs and thighs cook in about 45 -55 min., the breasts (if cut in half) will cook in 35 - 45 min. depending upon cook temp.

Mom and my older sister always tried to re-create KFC's 11 secret herbs and spices. They got close but there is one spice revealed I recently heard (History Channel show, I think) about but couldn't remember the exact name....it was some kind of cherry pepper tree or something similar to that.

Mom's ingredients are: Flour, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic and onion powders, a small amount of oregano, and rosemary.

She didn't double batter or soak in any buttermilk like other recipes.

Last edited by jencar98; 01-07-2012 at 08:38 PM.
jencar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!