View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper2010 View Post
I have a hard time also, I always want my fried chicken to taste like my moms. I actually fried some tonight. I soaked it in a cup of buttermilk, a cup of milk and a 1/4 cup of Franks hot sauce. (I only did 3 hours, it may be better overnight)

I mixed 2 cups of flour with salt, pepper, garlic powder and a bit of cayenne for dredging. I heated up oil (stick a wooden spoon tip in it, it's ready when it bubbles) and fried for 9 minutes turning at 1/2. I only did dark meat tonight. It wasn't bad and it was all cooked through. My kids didn't complain, so there's something.

I tend to over cook it or under cook it. It takes some practice and I haven't quite gotten there yet, but I don't fry alot of things either.
My problems exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyGirl Rosie View Post
My son loves this recipe I make.

3 eggs, 1/3 c. water, 1 c. hot red pepper sauce, 2 c. self rising flour, 1 teaspoon pepper, chicken and oil

House Seasoning: 1 c. salt, 1/4 c. blk pepper, 1/4 c. garlic powder

Beat the eggs with the water. Add the hot sauce. In another bowl, combine the flour and pepper. Take the chicken and season with the house seasoning. Then dip in egg mixture. Next, dip in the flour mixture. Once coated, place in frying pan with hot oil.

What I have found that works for me is to have a frying pan with a lid. I use a glass lid. I brown both sides then turn to simmer and put the lid on it. This way it isn't too done on the outside while trying to get done on the inside.

Does this make sense?
Yes! Another problem I have is rock hard coating, lol... but the chicken stays edible, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley V View Post
I actually make mine in the oven

I mix some flour and whatever seasoning I feel like (usually rosemary and garlic) and coat the chicken pieces with it. I heat some olive oil at 400 in a shallow casserole type dish and once it is heated, put the chicken in the oil. (Note: Make sure the oil is nice and hot before you put the chicken in there so it will sear the flour and stuff on there. I put my chicken in cold oil one day when I was in a hurry and it all came off of my chicken and I had uncoated fried chicken on one side.) Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown then flip chicken over and bake on the other side for another 30-40 minutes.
My best chicken is baked, naked! Why? Because I could never get the coating to stay on both sides! Duh!

Thank you all... I will try all your recipes and techniques and report back, lol! I plan on figuring this out this year... so I'll be eating alot of chicken.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!